Monday, March 1, 2010

Shutter Island


Ok, now I know you are going to think that I'm just getting less picky because I keep giving movies A's all of a sudden--but that's because they really are good! This film is no exception. Probably the best film I've seen this year since Book of Eli. It is about as intellectual and mentally stimulating as they come. With surprises behind every corner, this film is simply amazing. With the kind of desire that makes you want to watch it over again, kind of like Sixth Sense. It's got great symbolism and the acting is phenomenal too. Leonardo Dicaprio plays Teddy, a US Marshal hired to search for a missing patient of the psychiatric ward on Shutter Island. There is no way on or off the island unless under the discretion of the chief psychiatrist, Dr. Cawley, played by Ben Kingsley (who also does an excellent job).

This is an adaptation of the book of the same name. Like usual, I have not read this book, but Martin Scorsese (director) has done a great job, and I can't imagine how this would be a poor adaptation of the story.

If you want creepy, you got it in this movie. Though, it's not really scary so much as it is eerie. The film has a dark, and at times, smirkish (made up word) feel to it. It will definitely leave you discussing it with everyone (or with yourself) for awhile after. I spent much time reading discussion boards online to see what people thought of it and to see how other's interpretations differed from my own. Now, the movie is not confusing by any means, it just is a fun puzzle that you can put together. I would almost have to see it a second time just so I can catch every detail.

Overall Grade: A+


-Ethan Brehm

No comments:

Post a Comment