Tuesday, March 2, 2010

The Crazies


If you've been following my blog, you'll know that I absolutely hate scary movies--this one is no exception. It was gory, creepy, and nightmarish. This remake of the 1973 film of the same name will keep many people's eyes behind their hands for most of the film. I hate to give a grade based on the bias that I am a wimp when it comes to scary movies, so I do have to give it credit for having a really good story line and making sure that you're emotionally attached to the characters. However, it does step into the horror movie world of every room being dark and a bunch of "you wait right here while I go check this out" (it happened at least 7 times). It was enough to drive you nuts and make you just say, "Really?!?!"

It's a story about a small, peaceful town in Iowa that suddenly gets struck with some sort of toxin that is turning everybody into zombie-like heathens. The town sheriff, David, and his pregnant wife, Judy, must try to figure out the problem while trying to slip by the US military--who is trying to detox the whole town--and escape to the city.

There aren't any real big names in this (which seems to be a trend lately)--which I actually think is kind of cool and helps make it more realistic (whatever that means). The acting was actually pretty good and there wasn't a whole lot of sloppiness in script or storyline. It kinda reminded me of Zombieland without the comedy. However, I can't see myself ever wanting to watch it again--even if it wasn't scary.

Overall Grade: C+


-Ethan Brehm

No comments:

Post a Comment