Wednesday, March 31, 2010

The Bounty Hunter


I am not one to criticize a film for its lack of probability, so I won't even address that when it comes to this movie. However, I felt as though something was missing in this film. It really is a good story and has such great potential, but there was a line that it never crossed over of "making me want to buy this movie on DVD." It is about Milo (Gerard Butler) who is a bounty hunter, who used to be a cop, and he is hired to take his ex-wife, Nicole (Jennifer Aniston), to jail for skipping bail. Yeah, yeah, I know you think that this is going to be predictable--but it actually wasn't as predictable as you would think, and that is definitely not the reason why it didn't live up to its potential. Maybe it was the poor dialogue that couldn't keep the audience laughing all that hard (it would have probably done better in the 90s). I mean, you do feel for the characters throughout the film, but some of the lines just feel forced.

There are many different sub-stories and twists and turns to keep you interested, so you don't have to worry about that. And Jason Sudeikis plays Stewart, who has a minor role as Nicole's extremely nerdy coworker who thinks that she is his girlfriend, but is probably the highlight of the film.

I didn't hate the film, and I would probably watch it again. In fact, I even thought that I might think it was even better the second time around. If you need to see a film that won't depress you, see this one. And despite all of the negative things I said, there is also something about this film that would make me feel like I was not being accurate if I gave it any less than a B-. Besides, it will make you smile a bit too.

Overall Grade: B-

P.S. Actually, I think it's because Gerard Butler is not a very good comedy actor at all. He doesn't posses that "it" factor to be good in comedy films. Nonetheless, he is still a good actor in other types of movies.


-Ethan Brehm

No comments:

Post a Comment