Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Alice In Wonderland


I finally got to see this movie! I had to wait until I came home from school because I wanted to see it with my girlfriend. If you are expecting the original cartoon Alice In Wonderland, then you have another this coming. Sure, most of the characters are in this one, and the MAIN story ideas are similar, but the plot itself is completely different. Why she is there, what happened before she was there, what happened while she was there, the order in which things happen, and even Wonderland, itself, are all different. My girlfriend told me that in the stage play, Wonderland, certain aspects were combined with the original cartoon movie and included in this film. However, much of it was invented exclusively by Tim Burton for this new adaptation. Although I am familiar with the original film, I thoroughly enjoyed the very new interpretation of the classic--unlike Tim Burton's remake of Willy Wonka.

This new movie was full of surprise after surprise, and you did not once feel as if this were just simply a live-action remake--which I liked. The acting was excellent throughout, especially for the Mad Hatter, played by Johnny Depp (although he was kinda creepy and scary at some parts).

Not only is this movie visually pleasing, but Burton's attempt to create an emotional connection between Alice and the creatures she meets that was not as much present in the original Disney film was successful and noted. There are enough twists and revelations throughout this movie to satisfy any audience.

Though I was slightly disappointed by how depressing Wonderland looked, I eventually understood the point of the director to make it like that. However, in the end, I would have liked to see it be turned back to normal again (you'll get it if you see it).

Overall Grade: A-

P.S. Sorry for the late reviews lately. I'm trying to catch up this week!


-Ethan Brehm

No comments:

Post a Comment