Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Crazy Heart


Technically, this movie came out in 2009 as a limited release, but it got a wide release expansion in 2010, so I wasn't sure if I had to see it or not. I wanted to see it, however, so I did, and boy am I glad that I did!

I don't know what else to say about this movie. It was incredible! The acting was perfect and the story was tremendous. It is a perfect example of a great movie. Even if you do not like country music, it is still fantastic. Jeff Bridges plays Bad Blake, an old washed up country music singer. Maggie Gyllenhaal plays his love interest, Jean. Even the supporting actors were great! Colin Farrell and Robert Duvall were excellent supporting players as well (Duvall is always great).

I feel like even if the story line was bland and uninteresting, this movie would still be greatly enjoyable to watch--simply because of the fact that the chemistry and between the characters is seamless and so is the acting. Jeff Bridges, in this film, is the ultimate leading role and gives one of the top 5 best acting jobs that I've ever seen (not sure where he lands in the top 5).

All I can say is see this movie and put aside the fact that you don't like country music (even though I do), and enjoy it for what it's worth. I think that it's a shame that this was not nominated for Best Picture at the Oscars this year, because it is one of the best movies I have seen in such a long time. With most movies, I can see other critic's points of views if they do not like a movie (even if I may not agree), but with this film, I would not be able to see anybody else's opinion about.

Overall Grade: A (unavoidable)


-Ethan Brehm

No comments:

Post a Comment