Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Dear John


I have always said that Channing Tatum is one of my least favorite actors. Not just because he plays the same character in every film, but because he plays the same character poorly. However, I HAVE seen improvement from his previous films to this one. This story about love and loss is typical for a Nicholas Sparks film, but this one was more hopeful and less focused on unrealistic romantic things that will never happen in real life. This movie, unlike the past Sparks films that I've seen, stood out to me and really made me reflect. Maybe it was because of its similarity to the love story in Castaway. Personally being in a happy and doubtless relationship for 3 years, this film really makes me appreciate my girlfriend and what we have even more. There is a lot of self-pondering that will take place during and after watching this movie, and perhaps it will inspire you as it did me. Amanda Seyfried plays a really good role as a purist, Savannah, that Tatum's character, John, who is the opposite, falls in love with. Richard Jenkins does an immaculate job playing John's father who is autistic. The way John's relationship with his dad is portrayed is quite amazing, and desirable within itself.

This is not your typical, predictable love story, or even non-love story. It is a story about relationships and love in general. If you see the movie, you will know what I mean by that. It really is a good film.

Overall Grade: A-


-Ethan Brehm

No comments:

Post a Comment