Friday, February 12, 2010

Edge of Darkness


I usually end up not giving good grades to films that, I feel, do not fill out a lot of information and leave me confused and bewildered. But despite the few moments where that happened in this film, it was an enjoyable movie. Just make sure that you see the film with someone else that you can discuss it with and help fill in the pieces (I took my girlfriend).

It's great seeing Mel Gibson back in the business after a brief hiatus. And let me tell you, he shows no signs of decay, as he really carried this film well.

The movie, based off of a BBC series of the same name, is about a father avenging his daughter's death. And just before you think that you've seen this one before, let me tell you that there are many twists and turns that will not allow you to get distracted that much--but that is just the nature of the movie, I guess. Some key points in the film, however, were not really explained as well as I thought they could be--even after I read the plot synopsis online later that day. I did like, though, how the music (or lack of) didn't give away any of the suspenseful scenarios.

On another note, the movie is pretty bloody and gory at several parts that you do not see coming, so it might not be for some people. It starts making you nervous that cars are going to blow up any second or someone's gonna fly through the windows or something. So beware: this movie may make you a wreck!

Overall, the movie was very much entertaining, and I would like to see it again just to fill in the puzzle for me--much like Sixth Sense.

Overall Grade: B


-Ethan Brehm

No comments:

Post a Comment