Friday, February 19, 2010

Valentine's Day


The sad part about this movie is that it could have been so good! There were maybe 8 or 9 different story lines running in this movie that were all connected in some way (but not vital for each other to exist). But honestly, I think it could have done without 3 or 4 of them. Taylor Swift and Taylor Lautner's story could have been left out completely, as the characters had no significance in the connection link of the other stories. Emma Roberts' storyline could have stayed, but it was not vital. Jaime Foxx and Jessica Biel's storyline could have been dismissed, along with the storyline between the old couple (played by Hector Elizondo and Shirley MacLaine) even though their characters were necessary. It's just that their story is a bit unrealistic and so is the end result (you'll know what I mean if you see the movie). Topher Grace and Anne Hathaway's story was not necessary either, though the point made from their story had good intentions, but again, the application of the message went along with another unrealistic scenario and end result.

The messages of the film had good intentions, such as, "if you love someone, then you should accept them for their mistakes as well as their good qualities." However, Topher Grace knew his "girlfriend" for barely two weeks, and he is already applying this philosophy to a mistake that is not only weird, but many people could not look past. He is being shown as the bad guy for getting upset at Hathaway, when in reality, she is the one that is using her mistake as an excuse (read again after seeing movie and you will understand). This lesson is also taught through the mistake that Maclaine's character makes, and I also find this unrealistically easy for her husband to accept.

As for the good parts, Ashton Kutcher's character, Reed, proposed to his girlfriend on Valentine's Day. Also, Jennifer Garner's character, Julia, is an elementary school teacher and I thought that the story with her and her "boyfriend" was a good tie-in. George Lopez also contributed with his message that falling in love is easy when you marry your best friend (another one I liked). And then, of course, the story with the little boy, Edison, played by Bryce Robinson, was extremely adorable. He is one of Julia's students and the old couple's grandchild, who is love struck and his story is about how he deals with his troubles with much confidence, while everyone else seems to be over-thinking their predicaments.

The tie-ins were cool, but some, as mentioned above were unnecessary. One that I haven't mentioned was Bradley Cooper and Julia Roberts' story/stories, which I also thought were fairly important to leave in.

I have known about this film for awhile, and was actually looking forward to seeing it. My dad works for an import/export company, and one of their products is Basmati rice. So, last summer, he comes home from work and says that he got an email from some guy asking if they could use one of his company's rice bags in one of the scenes for a movie called "Valentine's Day." So when this film was coming out, I was really looking forward to it and hoping that I liked it just because of my connection with the film, and the fact that the guy sent a piece of the official script where the bag would be featured. Unfortunately, I did not like the film enough to buy it on DVD or anything, but I am glad that I saw it because the sub-stories that I did like, I REALLY liked. But once again--that was only about half of the movie.

Among the film were a few surprises thrown in to satisfy your buds. A couple of good ones, I might add.

The film had a great portrayal of love as far as marrying your best friend, but not as far as accepting mistakes so easily of someone you barely even know. And though there were several subplots that I did not think were necessary, there were only two that I felt singlehandedly made me dislike the film as a whole--and those were the Grace/Hathaway story and the Elizondo/MacLaine story.

Overall, however, I did not leave the film as inspired as I had hoped after watching a movie about love. Parts made me smile and giggle, but inspired? Not as much as I felt that I should have been.

Overall Grade: C



-Ethan Brehm

No comments:

Post a Comment