Saturday, February 6, 2010

When In Rome


I'm not sure what everyone hates about this movie. Yes, it is somewhat predictable, and yes, some of the jokes are too silly to be believable--but it's got remnants of old slapstick. Some of the bits were actually laugh-out-loud funny. Actually, more than some.

Kristen Bell plays Beth, who is a workaholic that is bitter against love. So, while in Rome for her sister's wedding, she steals five wished-on coins out of the fountain of love. The men who belong to each coin become infatuated with Beth and try to get her to love them. But Beth, who is in love with Nick, played by Josh Duhamel, thinks that he is in love with her only because she took his coin.

I enjoyed this movie overall, but I don't know if I would buy it when it comes out on DVD. But at least I don't know that I wouldn't buy it! Let's put it this way--if it came on TV or if a friend was watching it on DVD, I would definitely watch it again. Kristen Bell is very believable and so is Josh Duhamel. I enjoyed how the film portrays love and what love should call you to do--such as putting the person you love's needs before yours. Another highlight is Saturday Night Live cast member, Bobby Moynihan, whom I am glad got to be in this. He was hilarious and I wish that he could have been in more scenes.

There is a twist towards the end of the movie, which may be guessed ahead of time by some avid movie-goers, was pretty cool--even if you catch on early enough.

It was a fun movie, so watch it for what it's worth! And like I say, don't expect the world from it!

Overall Grade: B



-Ethan Brehm

No comments:

Post a Comment