Sunday, September 5, 2010

Piranha 3D


Ok, this is a movie, similar to Jaws (but not nearly as good), about a bunch of man-eating piranhas that arive mysteriously in a lake in Arizona and eat a bunch of people (mostly teenagers) during the big Spring Break bash. It's a remake of the original 1978 film.

I'm not sure why critics are raving about this film, but at the same time spit on films that have way more heart and brains than this. This film is a cheap way to make a buck. It's horribly written, acted, and executed. It wasn't an exploitation film--all it exploits are the film makers. The highlights of this film are the brief scene featuring Richard Dreyfuss (he dies within the first 2 minutes) and the featuring of Christopher Lloyd as the mad marine biologist. He played his usual self. But even he couldn't bring genius to the poorly written script.

Yeah yeah, I know it was supposed to be campy and humorous. I don't mind the campiness of it. It just wasn't funny. I mean, Snakes On A Plane was actually enjoyable--it was smart, funny, and very amusing. This film didn't keep me guessing at all. It was just a blood-fest. I think it's sad that a film like this gets significantly better reviews than films such as Shutter Island or even The Book of Eli. You're telling me that all of a sudden critics put aside their "critic card" to give a good review to a lousy movie just because they ENJOYED it?! Why couldn't they just put down their "critic card" before every film and grade them ALL based on how much they actually enjoy them?? That's what I'm trying to do here and I just get criticized for being too leanient. No, I just know when to put my card down.

Overall Grade: D-


-Ethan Brehm

No comments:

Post a Comment