Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Going The Distance


This particular romcom is just what you need as a break from all the unbelievable ones that take themselves way too seriously. It stars Drew Barrymore as Erin, an aspiring journalist who lives in the Bay Area, and Justin Long as Garrett, an A&R for a record company in New York. They meet at a bar while Erin is interning at a newspaper in New York for the summer. She ends up leaving a few weeks later and she and Garrett don't know where their relationship stands. They struggle with the long distance relationship.

This film refreshingly reminded me of an 80s film. From the music to the innocent theme. I really liked the movie. I only wish that it was a little less vulgar. But I do have to say that, for the MOST part, the vulgarity wasn't TOO eye-popping or cringefull. The way they portrayed Erin and Garrett falling for each other wasn't the typical run-and-gun infatuation that most romantic comedies love to portray. It was real and genuine. You actually were convinced that it could have been a real story.

At the beginning of the film, I felt as though the chemistry was a little bit off between the two leads, but as the film progressed so did their chemistry--just how, I think, the filmmakers intended it to be. I loved seeing Jason Sudeikis (playing one of Garrett's best friends) in this film. He was hilarious. The movie was full of great dialogue and humor. It wasn't predictable or cliche at all. And I can't say that I loved the two main characters, but I loved their relationship with each other. You really saw how each of them grew by the end of the movie, and you get to see two people that truly love each other in a way that far exceeds that of a platonic relationship.

Overall Grade: A-


-Ethan Brehm

No comments:

Post a Comment