Friday, January 29, 2010

Legion


How about another religious movie? Ok! But unlike The Book of Eli, I'm not sure how to feel about this one. What I mean is that I am not sure if I understand the point they were trying to make. In a way, it's like a modern-day Christ story. Charlie, a waitress in a diner in the middle of nowhere is pregnant and she and her cohorts at the diner were attacked by a possessed old lady and they don't know why. Then, Michael, the arch-angel comes and tells them that God is fed up with the world and that he is instructing the angels to possess the weak-willed and have them find Charlie and kill her so that her baby is not born, for if he is, humanity is saved. Michael goes against God's will and tries to save the baby because of his love for the human race.

I really do want to like this movie, but I am not sure whether to be offended or not (and it doesn't seem like anyone else does either). Either God is testing his angels, or God has to be shown that he can have faith in humanity again. If the latter is true, then I'm not sure that I liked the story as much. However, it is fictitious and no one should go into this believing that this is the truth.

Overall, there were a couple of turns in this movie that I would have taken differently. I mean, the concept is actually really good--but would have been executed way better if it was done by a devout Christian and had an obvious Christian take on the whole situation.

The acting was good, except for Charlie. The highlight, however, was Tyrese Gibson who gives a really good performance--too bad he had a minor role.

Either way, I think it is worth seeing so that you can determine your own take on the story and come up with your own conclusions.

Overall Grade: C+ (I think)


-Ethan Brehm

No comments:

Post a Comment