Saturday, January 16, 2010

The Book of Eli


Sometimes I feel that if I go into a movie without having any expectations, I will like it better (and if you are one of these people, stop reading now). With this film, it wouldn't have mattered, even if I had high expectations of the movie. This is one of the most amazing films I have ever seen. There was not one part that I would take out or change. It is flawless and shows Denzel Washington at his finest. Not often can films bring tears to my eyes, but this one did. Maybe part of the reason is that I am a devout Roman Catholic and this movie meant all the more to me, but even the not-as-Christian audiences loved this one (not everybody, of course). The idea behind the problem is so beautiful that the result may make the world a better place than if the problem never existed in the first place (watch it to know what I mean).

I am not going to begin to explain the plot of this movie because, even if I knew how to, it would take away from the journey experienced from watching the film first-hand. Many people may be criticizing this movie, saying that it is a "typical post-apocalyptic film" or that "we've seen this movie hundreds of times before," but they are obviously not grasping the ACTUAL concept of this film. In fact, it is going right over their heads. See the story as a whole and put down the critic card for a second (at times, I was so into it that I even forgot that I was supposed be writing about it later). Enjoy this film for what it is, because there are not many like it, regardless of what anyone says. It is not just a post-apocalyptic movie. There are even MORE romantic comedies that seem to have been done hundreds of times, but those same critics don't have negativity towards them. Don't go into this film thinking of it as a post-apocalyptic film and just expect an action/adventure the whole time or else your mind will not be as open as it should be. Although it does have an immense offering of action and adventure, it is way more than that. Just put on your patience-caps and watch the movie, and you will thank me for it!

Overall Grade: A+


-Ethan Brehm

No comments:

Post a Comment