Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Leap Year


Ok, not the best movie to start off the New Year. It actually got me paranoid that I might actually be taking this critic thing too seriously; but then I realized that it just may be the movie itself. I am usually a big fan of Amy Adams, but her character was annoying me throughout the entirety of the movie. The dialogue seemed forced, and so did the jokes. At times I was getting the impression that the filmmakers were trying to kill a lot of time with stupid banter or minute details that they were hoping would add up to fill more time...and even then, the film was only a mere 97 minutes (including the end credits).

Amy Adams' character, Anna, is in desperation to marry her boyfriend, Jeremy. He flies to Ireland on business and she flies out to meet him and propose to him on February 29th after her father, John Lithgow, reminds her of the old Irish tradition for a woman to propose to her man on Leap Day. During Anna's journey, she comes across a bitter and non-pretentious man, named Declan (played by Matthew Goode).

It was a typical chick flick and hugely predictable in almost every way. Not a whole lot stood out to me in this film. The highlight of the movie was listening to these two old bickering drunk Statler-and-Waldorf-type patrons at the pub. Also, I was hoping for more John Lithgow scenes (we only get one).

Being a PG-rated movie, the impractical and unrealistic style was such of a kid's movie, but the plot and jokes were definitely directed towards adults. It was also apparent that the directing style had a foreign feel to it--and this came to mind even before I realized that the director, Anand Tucker, is a native of Thailand and is based out of London. The good thing is, this movie starts out lousy and gets progressively better (although it doesn't really have a choice).

Most importantly, though the ending was sweet, I would have ended it much differently...and since not all of you are like me--who reads reviews AFTER I go see the movie--I will include my take on the conclusion BELOW the overall grade.

Overall Grade: C-


Spoiler Alert!

So, this is what I think should have happened: Anna should have said yes to Jeremy (who would have turned out to be a sweet and selfless guy), and then Declan, would have sought out his ex-fiancee and proposed to her. Oh, and Anna and Declan would be the best of friends and live happily ever after. Hmm, I don't know, either ending would have been fine...I guess that's what DVD special features are for!

-Ethan Brehm

No comments:

Post a Comment