Monday, July 12, 2010

Standing Ovation


Ok, I have to be completely honest. Much of watching this film consisted of me wondering who would have taken their money and funded this film. But as the movie unfolds, I realize that it does have a good heart. It's a film about a group of junior high school girls who have a dance group. They must make a music video and compete for a million dollar prize. However, they are the underdog to their rival group who happen to have twice the resources and popularity that they do.

In this film of no-name actors, I found it very low-grade. The acting was hokey for the most part (with the exception of the leading female role). The dialogue was terrible and terribly directed. At times it seemed like a film that the little kids at the day camp I used to work for would make. Some scenes and bits were awkward and random, and completely out of the belief range of what junior high kids are capable of (which would be understandable if it were a sci-fi kids flick). However, the film had a great message for kids and adults, and had an interesting twist to its substory. I would never buy this film on DVD, but it was definitely one of the most memorable films I've seen for a myriad of reasons ranging from its extremities. There was something about it that never let me hate it.

Overall Grade: B-


-Ethan Brehm

No comments:

Post a Comment