Friday, May 7, 2010

The Losers


This film was something else. I really enjoyed it. It had a great cast (yet most names are not widely known, but have been in many films). But it does feature Zoe Saldana in her 23rd film this year (kidding). It is about a group of US Special Forces that are sent into Bolivia on a mission that they find out quickly was a betrayal attempt. They soon realize that they have been misled there by a mysterious man named Max. After the incident there, the whole group is thought to be dead. However, they use this to their advantage as they try to hunt down Max and stop him from his corrupt plan to diminish large masses of land.

This is not your typical action movie. It is both satirical and thrilling--with the perfect balance between each. The story was well thought out, and it is a movie that I could see over and over again. There were a couple of unnecessary sex scenes (which almost made me give it a B+ instead), and there was a part at the end that I thought had a little hint of amateur screenwriting, but that's just because it did not fit with the rest of the film--which was extremely well-written. The characters are very developed and deep--which I always thought is one of the top 3 things that lead to a great film (don't ask me what the other 2 are right now). But this film is full of quotable lines.

In a very good attempt at making a film that is this unique, the writers have done just that. It is a fun watch, and I'm sure I'll be wanting it on DVD when it comes out. I just hope there's a sequel!

Overall Grade: A-


-Ethan Brehm

1 comment: