Saturday, May 29, 2010

Just Wright


Those who know me know that basketball has been a huge part of my life since I was basically born. What goes along with that is that I have a soft-spot for basketball movies. There are not really any that I do not like. With that said, I find that this film would have made me like it even if it were not a basketball film. It stars Queen Latifah as Leslie, a physical therapist who isn't stereotypically what men find attractive. However, her best friend, Morgan (Paula Patton), is symmetric enough to be every guys heartbreak. Morgan wants one thing--to date an NBA player. Scott McKnight (Common), one of the best players in the league meets Leslie at the gas station, and invites her to her party. She brings Morgan and Scott McKnight falls for her (Morgan). Then he gets a career-threatening injury and asks Leslie to be his therapist and get him better again before playoffs. You might think that you see what comes next, but I don't wanna say anything.

It was a good movie that made me laugh and smile a lot. Though, once the film gets going, it gets somewhat predictable (ok, maybe that's an understatement). Also, Morgan makes you really angry throughout the film, to the point that you could slap her silly.

It was nice seeing Phylicia Rashad in this film as Scott's mother because The Cosby Show is one of my favorite shows of all time. The film is definitely a formula film, but as one of my favorite critics, Roger Ebert said, "A formula that works reminds us of why it became a formula."

Overall Grade: B+


-Ethan Brehm

No comments:

Post a Comment