Thursday, May 13, 2010

Babies


This is another non-wide-release film that I wanted to see because I love babies, and so does my girlfriend. It is a documentary about 4 babies--one from Japan, one from Mongolia, one from Namibia in Africa, and one from San Francisco. It begins with each baby from birth, and goes until they learn how to walk. The film is not narrated.

I love how the film compares and contrasts how babies are raised in different cultures and societies. It really depicts the differences well. The fact that there is no narration makes for an even more interesting film, and it helps you focus on what is actually going on in the film and make observations for yourself. The film is all about observing--which is what most people do when it comes to babies--whether it is your own or someone else's.

Although the film is rated PG, there is a lot of female nudity. But I think the reason why it was not censored was because it is in the context of breast feeding, and with the family in Africa, women are always topless--but it is seen as a natural thing. The nudity is not at all in a sexual context.

This was an amazing film that displays some very interesting things. Plus, it kept me laughing pretty much the whole time. And when I wasn't laughing, I was smiling. There was not one dull moment.

Overall Grade: A+


-Ethan Brehm

No comments:

Post a Comment