Thursday, April 1, 2010

Repo Men


Ok, just when you though I've become less picky about movies, I bet you're happy to know that I finally saw one that I will probably never watch again. And I realized something--for me, a movie can be completely horrible to the point where I know I'm going to give it a bad rating while watching it, but then it has a good ending and I suddenly become sympathetic towards it--I gotta stop doing that! However, this film, which takes place in the distant future, did have a decent message of never putting money before your morals. In this film, the future is a place where, instead of having to wait til someone dies when you need their liver or heart, you can buy a synthetic one that performs the same task. However, the price range is over half a million dollars. In comes Remy (Jude Law), whose job is to track down people who are overdue on their payments. He knocks them unconscious and then takes out whatever body part they bought (i.e. In some cases, they die). Then, suddenly, Remy needs a new heart, and the hunter becomes the hunted. He knows not whether to trust his long time partner, Jake (Forest Whitaker).

Although this sounds like an interesting concept for a movie, it did not live up to expectations. Law does an okay job, but certain things seem a little too unrealistic, the lines are less than average, and the storyline feels way too rushed. Also, there is a completely unnecessary sexual affair that goes on that is not just unnecessary but unrealistically played out.

This film was painful to watch in ways other than the fact that it is gory beyond belief. There are way too many pointless fighting scenes. It gets to the point when you literally say, "Really?? Another one??" I don't like rolling my eyes at the movie while I'm watching it. It just takes itself too seriously.

So, despite the good message (which actually gets undermined) and the really clever ending, I have to look past it and say that if you come across this movie on TV and Hannah Montana isn't on, watch it.

Overall Grade: C



-Ethan Brehm

No comments:

Post a Comment