Monday, April 5, 2010

Clash of the Titans


If you think that I have seen the original, I haven't, so sorry if I can't compare it (on the plus side, I won't have any preconceived notions of how I feel the movie should be). And I didn't see it in 3-D either, so there won't be any bias when it comes to how cool I thought it looked three dimensionally. Because if I saw it in 2-D and liked it, then you might think it would be even better in 3-D, but if I saw it in 2-D and DIDN'T like it all that much, then you would either not see it or just see it in 2-D. Anyway, this film is about Zeus' half-human son, Perseus (Sam Worthington), who is leading an army of Argos warriors who are declaring war on the gods. However, Perseus wants to avenge the death of his human foster father by killing the god of the underworld, Hades. But Perseus thinks that Hades is taking the side of Zeus in the war against the people, so Perseus joins the Argos warriors in the battle against all of the gods. If it sounds confusing, it won't be if you see it.

Though I'm Catholic, I have an interest in the ancient Greek gods--not unlike my fascination in Bigfoot, though. If you have seen Percy Jackson and the Olympians, which came out a month and a half ago, the events were similar to the ones in that movie, and the main character was Perseus, but at a younger age, and he was Poseidon's son instead of Zeus'.

I do have to say, the effects were pretty cool. But most people know that it's not the effects that make the movie. The dialogue had some good lines in it, and the lines that were too corny seemed to be put into check by some self-criticizing humor. The film doesn't take itself too seriously, which is good. However, it was missing some sort of zeal that I can't quite put my finger on. The acting was good, but maybe it was the fact that I liked the Percy Jackson movie better. Or maybe it's because I expected Medusa to be scarier looking. I mean, she was creepy, but not realistic looking enough.

It was cool how the film came together in the end, and it keeps you decently emotionally attached. It was greatly entertaining and aesthetically pleasing, so I would say seeing this might be worth your while if you have already seen the other movies that you wanted to see more, first. And by the way, 2-D might just be the way to go with this one.

Overall Grade: B


-Ethan Brehm

No comments:

Post a Comment