Thursday, April 1, 2010

Hot Tub Time Machine


Ok, so I will admit that my favorite type of movies are time travel movies--as you can tell by the fact that the two films that I can't live without are Back to the Future and Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure(American Graffiti too, but I don't think that counts). So anyway, I am a sucker for these types of films. This one, in particular, is about a group of 3 friends, plus a nephew, that wants to relive the best years of their lives by going back to their favorite hangout, up at the ski resort. Mind you, all 4 of them have lives that they would want to completely turn around. However, as they get up to the once-party-town, they realize that it has become a dump. When they get to their room, they realize that their hot tub is--yes--a time machine (sorry if I spoiled anything). It takes them back to the 80's, to a day that had a major impact on the older three's lives (the nephew hadn't been born yet, but he still exists). They get an opportunity to either change their lives or live everything the exact same way that it happened on that memorable night in order to avoid chaos happening in the future.

This movie was hysterical. Funny throughout. And I enjoyed how the cast was not a predictable one--the two most recognizable being John Cusack and Craig Robinson. It is interesting to see the choices that they make and how the night unfolds (or re-unfolds). Also, it was great how the trailer for this film didn't really give away anything crucial to the main plot, nor did it give away any of the funniest jokes. I hate when trailers have all the funniest parts in them.

I enjoyed how they really stressed the concept of the butterfly effect (essentially, that changing even the slightest thing--like killing a butterfly--will change the future completely). It was cool how they emphasized how every choice you make is crucial to the outcome of your life and where you are at today. I don't know if the writers meant for this to be stressed all that much in a comedy of this unseriousness, but I'm convincing myself that this was the message.

Though this was a great movie, I could have done without at least half of the F-bombs. Also, the end result wasn't how I would have hoped, but it IS just a comedy, so I'm not expecting it to be up to the sincerity standards of Back to the Future. Speaking of which, it was cool to see Crispin Glover (Marty McFly's dad in Back to the Future) make an appearance in this film as the resort's bellhop.

Great film--just don't take your kids to go see it. And remember, it's just a comedy--try not to take the end result too seriously.

Overall Grade: A-



-Ethan Brehm

No comments:

Post a Comment