Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Greenberg


Now, I know this is not a wide release film, but there are several indie films out right now that I want to see. And though I don't need to blog about them, I will anyway. This is a film about the socially awkward (and brutally honest) Roger Greenberg, played by Ben Stiller, who recently moved to Los Angeles from New York to house sit for his brother for several weeks. Growing up in LA, while he's there he rekindles old relationships and meets his brother's assistant, Florence (Greta Gerwig). He also has recently lost his job as a carpenter and does not want to find a new one. I should also mention that he has just gotten out of a mental institute for having a nervous breakdown. Throughout the film, he analyzes his life and tries to live in the present instead of the past.

It was a well done film. It was really funny, well-written, and very unique. Stiller does an excellent job playing the unusual role, and is extremely believable throughout. Greenberg is not necessarily the most likable main character, but that's what makes this film interesting. His tendencies are hilarious and uncalled for.

There were a couple of unnecessary nude scenes and a seemingly nonchalant reference to an abortion that wouldn't have changed the film if the mother decided to keep the baby. If you've been reading my past blogs (which I hardly doubt) you know that I'm pretty conservative. It was downplayed so much that I didn't even realize that it happened at first--and may be overlooked by many people. Some other scenes can be kind of awkward, and none of the characters really seem to be likable, but I think that is part of the point of this film.

The film concludes with a couple of issues unresolved, which may have just been an artistic insistence more than anything else. Although I would have felt much better otherwise, I always say that you have to view the film as the creator's vision, and if he or she accomplishes that vision, it can make a seemingly bad movie turn good.

Although the abortion aspect kind of ruined the film for me, I will try not to let it influence my overall grade (just know that it would be a lot lower than what I am going to put). It really is a well done film and provides great juxtaposition of two different generations, two different cultures, and two different types of people--but somehow showing they're similarities all at the same time.

Overall Grade: B


-Ethan Brehm

No comments:

Post a Comment