Friday, December 31, 2010

Gulliver's Travels


Wow! I did it! Last movie of the year!

This film, loosely based on the 18th century novel of the same name by Jonathan Swift, is about Lemuel Gulliver, who tries to be a travel writer to impress a girl (don't we all) and ends up taking an assignment near Bermuda when things go wrong and he winds up on an island called Liliput where he is surprised to see that all of its citizens are the size of his pinky.

If you are looking for a story that would give the original book justice, than be surprised when you watch this. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the film, but wasn't expecting it to be like anything except for a family film. It takes place in modern times and has humor, at times, similar to Monty Python bits. Jack Black is his usual self, and the rest of the actors actually do a great job (Amanda Peet, Emily Blunt, Jason Segel, Billy Connolly, and Chris O'Dowd). The film is full of silly humor which I, personally, was laughing at--however, some may find it childish (which is probably why I enjoyed it).

Anyway, I would watch it again, because it has many clever scenes and it makes me laugh.

Overall Grade: A


-Ethan Brehm

No comments:

Post a Comment