Saturday, January 1, 2011

....All Done!

Wow! This year went by so fast! This New Year's resolution of mine wasn't as hard as I thought it might be. Yeah, there were times where I got kinda stressed because there would be like, 8 movies out that I hadn't seen. But, it taught me discipline and that if I put my mind to it, I can accomplish something--even when I didn't have a job for half the year, and even when I did, I was only getting paid minimum wage for 8 hours a week. But it was a good year and I'm glad I did it.

I will probably continue to see most movies this year--except for the horror movies that I wouldn't go see anyway. I haven't decided if I'm going to keep blogging, because I got really behind on it this year and it took me a long time to catch up. We'll just see how it goes.

Throughout my experiences this year, I have learned a lot about myself as a movie critic and about movies in general:

1. I'm not a very good movie critic because I'm too easily entertained. Although, I am a little bit more critical than I was at the beginning of the year.

2. Kid's movies are not judged very fairly by professional critics, and they tend to critique them as if the films are marketed towards them.

3. It shouldn't matter how the film compares to the previous films in the series, because if the movie is good, then it's good.

4. If a movie makes me cry at the end, I am more likely to give it a better review.

5. If a movie is boring, poorly acted, and badly written, but the ending is really good, I will give it a better review (although I'm trying to get better at that).

6. I'm not AS scared when I see scary movies as much as I was at the beginning of this year--although I still get scared.

7. You have to differentiate whether or not you are giving a movie a review based off of how good the movie was versus how much YOU liked the movie. Because, in the end, they are two completely different things. However, the most important of the two is how much you liked the movie, because if the movie is well made, but you didn't like it, then it may prevent you from watching it again. But when BOTH aspects are a positive, then it makes the movie even better!

8. I can never give a film an F grade because they were always some persons vision, and if they accomplished the task of fulfilling that person's vision, then they can never be a failure. Movies are art, it's just that some art is more appealing than others (and some have bad paint brushes).

9. Don't read reviews before you see a movie because it will always give you some sort of preconception of how the movie will be. It will always be in the back of your mind.

10. Everyone should watch bad movies, because without watching bad movies, you don't know what they good ones really look like. (Something I already knew, but thought it was important to share).

So, from now on, every time someone mentions 2010 in film, I can say that I was there and that I saw every movie that year. I will be unstoppable if they make a "Trivial Pursuit 2010 Movies Edition."

It's been a great year and I've learned so much! Thank you to all who read my blog (wherever you are). I'll keep blogging as long as I'm still reading them.


-Ethan Brehm

No comments:

Post a Comment