Friday, December 31, 2010

Black Swan


This film is a darker take on the ballet, Swan Lake. The play requires one dancer to play both the White Swan, who is innocent, and the Black Swan who is more aggresive and sensual. Nina (Natalie Portman) is a ballerina dancer who wants to play the lead, but she is only seeming to fit the White Swan role, however Lily (Mila Kunis) is another dancer who is perfectly fitting to play the Black Swan. Since the role requires only one dancer, Lily must either find her innocent side or Nina must find her darker side.

The concept for this movie is actually really great...and so is the acting. However, I find myself not really being a fan of this film because it is too melodramatic. I feel like I have now seen Natalie Portman cry way more times than I had ever wished to in my lifetime. Though, I cannot deny that this is a good MOVIE, even though I may not like it so much. It is very strong and artistic. The music is perfect for the piece, and so is the cinematography. Everything about it is great except for the movie itself (if that makes sense). So I will take both into consideration.

Overall Grade: B


-Ethan Brehm

No comments:

Post a Comment