Thursday, December 9, 2010

Saw 3D


This film stars Tobin Bell as the Jigsaw Killer, however he is dead by now, and his work is being accomplished by Jill Tuck (Betsy Russell) and Mark Hoffman (Costas Mandylor). It's the usual Saw type of movie, so I'm not really sure how to explain the plot. You kinda have to see the first 6 films in the series in order to understand this one.

I know that the Saw films have been getting worse since the first one (even though, I still find them all interesting), but this one was different in a way. It actually had a little bit of humor in it, and had a bit of self-parody. Like, usual, there is a twist at the end. If you've seen the first 6, you're gonna want to see this last one just to see what happens. There is a good twist though. If you're a fan of the reverse beartrap, then you will enjoy this film because it is used several times. This one really ties together all of the films, which is good because it doesn't leave you hanging again. However, this film offers the least amount of surprise out of all the films in the series.

The thing about these films that I don't agree with is Jigsaw's claim that he is not a murderer, but he does in fact, leave no choice sometimes for the victims. And sometimes he even risks the lives of innocent people that are forced into these games because of the association that they have with the main victim. These films do a good job of making you sympathize with the antagonist. Tobin Bell does do a great job playing a believable character, and he is made to be liked in a Joker-from-Batman type of way.

This film emphasized a little more on the survivors of the traps rather than the people who died in the traps--which I liked. I have to admit, though, that I was expecting a "bigger picture" revelation in this last film--for instance, something that Jigsaw was really planning that the audience failed to realize earlier in the series. I wasn't as disappointed as I could have been, but I still was a little bit.

As part of the series, I wouldn't say that this was the worst one, but as a movie by itself, I wouldn't consider it great.

Overall Grade: B-


-Ethan Brehm

No comments:

Post a Comment